Life, House, Home, Family, Thriftiness, and other stuff...

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Little Bit Mickey

I found this vintage Mickey fabric in a bag of fabric someone donated to a church activity years ago.
They said I could have anything in the bag.

Really. They did.

I didn't steal it.
Anyway, I wanted to use it in a quilt, since there just wasn't very much of it. I've been hanging on to it for years.
And then the perfect opportunity presented itself. Some friends of ours were having their first baby and they are fellow Disney Freaks.
(Well, I say "fellow," because I put myself in the same class as my husband who is, let's just say, a bit of a Disney Freak. I used that term affectionately. And my husband and I are ONE, after all. So I guess if he's a DF, I have to be. Though perhaps I'm more of a DF by marriage than by blood.)
So...I made them this quilt.

A little bit Mickey and whole lot of filler fabric.

I didnt' know what gender the baby was going to be when I made it so I tried to make it for either. They ended up having a girl, which I think is perfect for this Mickey and Minnie inspired quilt.

And let me just say, their reaction made the time, effort and the giving-away-my-cute-vintage-fabric sooooo worth it. They were very thankful and love the quilt.
Let me just say, the reaction to a homemade gift (or any gift, for that matter) can really mean a lot to the giver. Thanks for liking my quilt, friends. It was a joy to make it for you and exciting to give it. And ...you're baby is pretty stinkin' cute too. :)

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Don't ask me how I messed up the fonts. I keep trying to fix them, and can't figure it out. ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quilt Ivy! That is so funny about the fabric. I have vintage Pooh fabric from the same era and I have yet to cut as well. I am hanging on to it for the perfect project! What a precious gift to make for a new baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's awesome, Ivy! What a great use of your vintage Disney stuff. Michelle, I don't think I'm going to have any more babies, but I love Pooh, so if you want to make something for me, you can! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely quilt! I miss making quilts... I did finish one for Dylan over the summer :)

    ReplyDelete